TikTok has quickly risen to great popularity worldwide, especially among those under 16, and is one of the most downloaded apps of the fall. We compiled the most important information about the short video service.
What is TikTok?
Last year, a newcomer to the list of the world’s most downloaded applications, a Chinese short video application known in the West as TikTok, in China as Douyin. Now for tiktok marketing this is important.
- The video service was launched in China in September 2016, and according to its own announcement, TikTok already had at least 500 million users in 150 countries in the summer. Tiktok ads manager have all details on how ads run and what you can earn from it.
- In the fall, TikTok rose to become the most downloaded app in the United States past Facebook, YouTube and other popular free apps. The video service has also spread rapidly in Finland, and it is especially popular among those under 16 years of age.
- If you still remember Musica.ly, which we covered last spring, you already know what it’s all about. Both services have the same idea: users can post different 15-second videos to the service.
- However, Musica.ly no longer exists, as it was acquired by ByteDance, the company that owns TikTok, last August and the two services merged.
How does TikTok work and why is it so popular?
With short videos uploaded to TikTok, users can, for example, dance, play, perform various challenges, photograph their animals, make lipstick videos or just chat whatever.
The app offers a library of music tracks from which users can select suitable songs for their videos. You can speed up your videos, add filters, effects, and edit them in other fun ways. Users can then like the videos and comment on each other’s videos.
Do you feel like a technological dinosaur whenever someone in the Z generation mentions an app called TikTok? Maybe you’ve already had time to try it in your FOMO in your back of your head, but the fanaticism of the phenomenon hasn’t completely opened up to you. Or maybe you’re a marketer looking to test your vanguard on new platforms. Whatever your starting point for getting to know TikTok, this article is for you: we tell you what TikTok is and what everyone should know about it.
TikTok facts on the table
TikTok is currently the hottest app that has been downloaded from app stores more than a billion times. Last time we saw a lot of buzz that got around in a short time, it’s probably Snapchat. But what is the reason for all the hype around TikTok?
TikTok is a hit product in Asia, especially in China, but its popularity has also grown rapidly in Western markets. TikTok was the most downloaded app in the US in September 2018. In 2019, TikTok was the fifth most downloaded AppStore in Finland.
- More than 500 million users.
- The application is available in 154 countries and 75 different languages.
- As many as 84% of Finnish TikTok users are under 18 years of age.
- Videos published in the app have about a million daily views.
- Users spend an average of 52 minutes a day on TikTok .