UVGI is expanded as Ultraviolet germicidal irradiation), which purifies the air by emitting the rays of UVC at a wavelength of 253.7 nanometers. As the ozone layer of the earth blocks the UVC light, this UVGI system (ระบบ uvgi, which is the term in Thai) is capable of emitting UVC light and cleaning the particular environment. To purify water, air, or any food application UVGI system is used in a wide range.
Compared to the x-rays, the wavelength of this UV light is longer and is also shorter when compared to the visible light.
How does it work?
The rays emitted from UVGI can kill the germs, bacteria, viruses, and fungi and their reproduction is also been prevented, and disrupting the DNA of microorganisms is also done.
The working of the UVGI depends on a few factors.
- It works more effectively when the air or water is circulated repeatedly.
- The intensity and wavelength of the UV light also matter.
- Few particles may be present to protect the microorganisms like bacteria, fungi, and viruses, etc. which also challenges the efficiency of the system.
- If the organisms are exposed to UV light for a long time there would be a very bigger result.
- Using for a longer time, there would be dust or any other particles covering the bulb of the UV system, so they should be cleaned and replaced periodically to increase its performance.
Where are they used?
Nowadays in homes, five-star hotels, restaurants, yoga centers, the sanitising of air inside is done just by installing the UV sanitizer as it kills the disease-causing microorganisms and purifies the air. There by allowing their customers to breathe clean. These are also used in most of the corporate offices to ensure advanced safety for the employees by disinfecting all the bad air. In hospitals, the patient’s safety is taken by providing UV air sanitizers. The harmful microorganisms in the aquarium and ponds are controlled by using these UV Sterilizers. The UV irradiation makes sure that the pathogens don’t reproduce. Educational institutions are also using these techniques to provide the students with a good and clean atmosphere along with education.
Disinfecting of surface water and water in the wells is done by these devices. Boiling the water also fights against bacteria, fungi, and other microorganisms but it is expensive and also requires labor to work, but this UV treatment is done easily and promptly as its efficiency is 20,000 times more than the boiling.